Banana Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (9 inch) baked pastry shell, cooled
- 4 bananas, sliced
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt. Add milk in gradually while stirring gently. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is bubbly. Keep stirring and cook for about 2 more minutes, and then remove from the burner.
- Stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes; remember to keep stirring. Remove the mixture from the stove, and add butter and vanilla. Stir until the whole thing has a smooth consistency.
- Slice bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell. Top with pudding mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes. Chill for an hour.
- You may use 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in place of 1/3 cup flour (I use cornstarch).
- The pie crust can be store-bought or homemade.